Please join us TOMORROW morning to celebrate the first day of school in the new HMS building. Doors will open at 8:25am when HMS staff, student council and parents will clap in returning students. Plan to come a bit earlier and enjoy the pre-opening celebrations at the Third Street entrance to the new building starting at 8:00am. Cafe LaFortuna will be providing coffee for adults, and Quest Food Management Services will provide hot chocolate for the students (ingredients below.) There will be music and plenty of opportunities to take pictures to mark this historic moment. If the weather does not cooperate to do this outside, we will open the cafeteria and hold the welcoming event there. Your children will be excited to know that there will be a special Snapchat filter to commemorate Day One at the new HMS for the pictures they want to take and share!
Student entry to the gym will follow at 8:25am. Students will begin their first day with a special schedule at 8:35am. If you are unable to come at 8:00am and are dropping your child off to enter the building at 8:25am, please be sure to follow the drop off procedures here: HMS Student Dropoff Map.pdf
Here is some other important information about our first day of school:
- There is a special schedule on the first day schedule here (also available to view and download on our web page https://www.d181.org/schools/hinsdale-middle-school)
- Students begin the day in the gym and everyone goes to their Home Base class next. There they receive all the instructions and information to make their first day back a smooth, low-stress experience.
- Student schedules can be viewed on Skyward.
- If you need to drop off any forgotten items for your student, you may park in our bus loop on Third Street between 8:30am – 2:00pm only. When you enter through the Third Street bus loop doors, there will be a staff supervisor to guide you. There is also a temporary drop-off center set up there in which to leave items such as lunches, books, homework, etc. Please list item and student name on clipboard sheet provided. Do not leave any item of value (phone, cash, computer, instrument, etc.) in drop-off center. The supervisor will guide you to appropriate office for this type of item.
- HMS will be open until 7:00pm on Monday for families to assist students with further locker setup, or to revisit new locations.
Finally, all students, parents and community members are encouraged to join us to tour the new school the evening of Thursday, January 17th at the official Ribbon Cutting & Open House. More details about both events can be found on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/hmspto.org. We hope you can join us!